If you misplace your iPhone, the Find My iPhone app will let you use any other iOS device or a PC/Mac computer to find it and protect your data.
But first you need to get the app installed on the iPhone or iPad that your want to protect. Simply install this free app on your device, open the app and sign in with the Apple ID you use for iCloud. In fact, do this for all your Apple devices, including those of your immediate family!
Now, using a web browser on any computer, you can locate your missing device on a map, remotely lock it, play a sound, display a message, or erase all the data on it. You just need to log into your iCloud account on a computer, once you have this app installed on your iPhone, to do the needful.
For missing iOS devices, Find My iPhone also includes a Lost Mode.
Lost Mode locks your device with a passcode and can display a custom message and contact phone number right on the Lock Screen. While in Lost Mode, your device can keep track of where it has been and report back so you can view its recent location history, right on your computer screen.
If you are using iOS 9, the Find My iPhone app will already be on your phone. Make sure that ‘Find My iPhone’ is enabled in your iCloud settings. If you are still on iOS 8, for whatever reason, we recommend you download this app to secure your iPhone!
Key Features of the app include:
- Locate your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac on a map
- Play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent)
- Remotely lock your device with a passcode
- Display a custom message on the Lock Screen
- View recent location history of your device while in Lost Mode (iOS devices)
- Remotely erase all content and settings on your device